Sunset Boulevard is the story of faded silent movie star Norma Desmond who is played by the amazing Gloria Swanson. Swanson was herself an icon of the silent era and as such the makeup is the film has an uber dramatic quality. The exagerated emotions and facial expressions of silent movie vamps are legendary and Swanson does not disappoint with her portrayal of the near sociopathic Norma. Here’s how to get her extreme look.
1. Skin should be pale and matte, nearly mask like. Try MAC studio fix powder compact.
2. Apply a pale eyeshadow to your eyelids and then shadow the sockets with a dark beige or light grey. Try Nars Duo in Madrague.
3. Exagerate eyebrows in the high curved arch, use pencil for the most precise line.
4. Line eyes with a super thin, super black liquid liner. MAC Liquid last liner is so balck that it looks like plastic. It’s also very very hard to remove so you will need a strong oil based remover like Clinque Take the Day Off.
5. Next step on the eyes are those epic eyelashes! Although I would rarely recommend plastic looking lashes (they are my pet hate) I think this occasion calls for it. So, the cheaper, plasticier and pointier; the better.
6. Gloria is a supporter of the Crawford Smear, that bird beak lip shape that makes you look very snooty and maybe even a bit menacing. To achieve this shape you need to change your lip shape with lip liner and then fill with lipstick. The classic, and most flattering lip shape features a neat little heart shape on your top lip, calle the cupids bow, that fits neatly below your nose. For the sneary smear effect, you will need to flatten out the dip in your cupids bow and stretch out the two peaks of the cupids bow, making them wide curves that travel out beyond the sides of your nose. Use a deep burgandy for the most impact. Tom Ford’s Black Orchid has to be the most epic lipstick I’ve seen in a long time, and at nearly €50 a tube it would want to be. Team with MAC Nightmoth pencil for the perfect pout.The final touch is an auld beauty spot below the lips, and maybe a sprinkle of confetti et voila! Now go a scare some young starlets.