Most of you will probably have noticed Marilyn Monroe’s pretty little face plastered across every facebook page and blog in the globe in the past few months. The 5th of August marked the 50th anniversary of the superstar’s tragic death and to commemerate her memory, Film Fatale are having the Marilyn Monroe bash to beat all bashes. Some Like It Hot will be shown in The Model Sligo on November 16th followed by a good old knees up. What an excellent excuse to wear red lipstick!
Marilyn was a true icon, even in her own lifetime. Her signature look is emulated so frequently that it has never gone out of fashion. Marilyn-esque models appear on catwalks every single season, images of the starlet are plastered across bags and tshirts time and again and Madonna can be seen snoging Monroe lookalikes every other week. With a look that is so often copied, our idea of Marilyn Monroe is often cartoonish and over the top. The truth is that Marilyn had many different facets to her personality and also to her look so that it is possible to choose which Marilyn you want to pay homage to.
Carefree Norma Jean
- Keep skin clear and bright- avoid bronzers
- Apply a little black liner to the root of the lashes – resist the urge to flick out the ends
- Finish eyes with eyelash curler and lashings of mascara
- Provide a flush of colour to the cheeks with a natural pink blush
- Top it all off with a ruby pink or coral lipstick
- Use a matte foundation for a soft slightly powdery finish
- Brush eyebrows upwards and define in a strong arch
- Apply a matte ivory eyeshadow all over the eye area
- Define the socket with a matte grey toned brown
- Apply a super thin line of black liquid liner above the lash line and flick out at the ends
- Curl lashes, apply lots of mascara and finish eyes with a pair of false lashes. While the lashes are drying, push them downwards to cover the eye slightly for Marilyn’s “come-to-bed” look.
- Finish the look with a little coral blush and a bright deep coral lipstick.
- Use a fresh light reflecting fondation in the same colour as your skin.
- Apply the foundation over your eyelid and set with powder to avoid creasing.
- Draw a thin line of liquid liner on the top lash line
- Curl lashes and load on the mascara
- Finish the look with a touch of blush and a soft red lipstick
- Apply a luminous foundation and define cheek bones with bronzer
- Define eyebrows in a high arch
- Use a metallic ivory eyeshadow to highlight under the brow bone and on the eyelid
- Sweep a little of the bronzer or a soft brown eyeshadow into the socket to give shape to the eye.
- Use a wet black eyeshadow to create a elongated eyeliner, stretching out the corners of the eye with a flick
- Curl lashes, apply lots of mascara and pop on a pair of false lashes. While the glue is drying, tilt the lashes down over the eye to give Marilyn’s signature sleepy eyes.
- Use a lip liner to create a full pout, fill in with deep red lipstick and finish with a red lip gloss for ultimate glamour.
- For that final touch, create a beauty spot with some liquid liner.
By makeup artist extraordinaire Kate O'Reilly