What better excuse for dressing up and working on your swagger than emulating Bogey at Saturdays screening of Casablanca. The outfit of choice for private detectives, gangsters, or other "tough guy" roles in 1940s films was a mac and a fedora and Rick Blaine's ensemeble in Casablanca is by far the most famous. Mac's can be found in charity shops or by asking lovely grandads, beige jackets are far better for dancing but the most important part of the look is the fedora so here's a few tips on how to wear a hat like the worlds most famous fedora wearer, Frank Sinatra.
Hats are both functional and stylish. They can cover a bad hair day, keep your head warm, and shade your eyes from the sun. They can also be worn to cover a receding hairline. They give you touch of class and sophistication, impart personality, and add an interesting and unique accent to your outfits. And hats are a sure-fire way to boost your confidence. A cool hat can quickly become your signature piece and give you extra swagger.
How to wear a hat.
Hats can give you a feeling of effortless cool and manly confidence. Few people loved hats more, or wore them better than Frank Sinatra. He was constantly playing with the idea of angling and tilting his hat to convey different attitudes. Here’s how Frank wore his hat to reflect his mood:
- Wear your hat pushed back to seem more open and accessible
- Tilt your hat over your eyes to seem mysterious and intimidating
- Tilt your hat up 1 inch from completely straight to project an all-business attitude
In adopting the hat as your signature piece, you must also accept the responsibility of hat etiquette. Often ignored, hat etiquette will show that your uniqueness extends not only to you choice of headwear, but to your manners as well.
- Promptly remove your hat upon entering an elevator, restaurant, or someone’s home. Never wear your hat during a meal.
- Touch the brim of your hat lightly when greeting a friend.
- Raise the hat by the crown when meeting a female friend in public.
- Remove your hat during the national anthem and place it over your heart.
Need a cheap Fedora: Pennys €5